Friday, November 5, 2010

BT Trail Steps

It was a public holiday today but my grand plans of getting to BT early was futile. I only got there at 11plus and the place was very crowded. I attempted my stairs weight - 22kg + 5kg ankles. Not too bad, could still walk.

The height of the steps in BT were higher than the HDB flats. Having ankle weights meant that each step was a conscientious effort to lift up one's quads to lift up the foot - instead of lifting the calf to raise the foot. All the abductors and quads and hamstring muscles were engaged.

I saw many aunties walking and having nice trekking poles on hand. However, it was amusing that they used the poles like how they would an umbrella, instead of the right height or right way. The poles were mostly too short, not extended to their desired height. That then affected the way the aunties could leverage on the poles to take their body weight while walking. Some had the poles behind them while going down the steps (instead of in front). Some poles were too low and did not offer any support at all. Almost everyone used the poles with the rubber stopper attached at the ends (instead of the poles' metal tips). I wondered if they were protecting the poles or their legs.

I was in a rush, and only had time to do 2x, 3x, and 3x sets. But I guess BT was not a training ground for speed, but more for technique and being familiar with one's gear in the natural setting.

Stroll up to Summit Path - abt 20min
Summit 2x - 3:42min, 4:++
Rengas 3x - 6:59min, 7:53, 8:13
Jungle Fall 3x - 7:08, 6:56, 6:30
Stroll back out to visitor centre - abt 20min

Each descent took just slightly shorter than the ascent. I left around 2pm.

No comments: