Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Acupuncture vs Myofascial Triggers

Came across an interesting article - that traditional acupuncture and the modern myofascial release actually treat the same pain areas. The study concluded that both approaches targeted the same problem zones with fundamentally similar techniques. There's a large convergence between the two and that "acupuncture points and trigger points are anatomically and clinically similar in their uses for treatment of pain disorders."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/05/080513101614.htm

Ahh well, but I suppose it is much easier to DIY on my red toy myofascial self-release roller foam, than to try and prick needles myself! But the wider implication of the study is to 'acknowledge' the effectiveness of traditional Chinese acupuncture and acupressure massage techniques (ie. "tui-na") in treating sports injuries. Many athletes I know are loathe to try out Chinese massages due to a lack of understanding and belief in the approach, preferring the "proven" (but often more expensive) Western treatment. They may not use the same terminologies (eg. ITB), and many are unable to clearly explain how or why a certain injury came about. To be fair too, there are many black sheep in the industry trying to pass off as qualified tui-na therapists. But that does not nullify the approach that has existed and been improvised over thousands of years. The executioner is at fault, not the tool.

Anyhow, I'm sticking to my familiar therapists. For a third of the rate charged by sports physios, I get my problems sorted out. And in the process, I learn much more about my body and how things work or are inter-joined. In the end, paying for 3 sessions is more effective than 1 expensive one. So here I am, 1 week before Sundown, getting my routine fix on my legs. My next appointment is next week. After that, the sun comes down and the show begins.....

No comments: