Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Canterbury 12km

Bought 2 pairs of shoes today. A newly minted Mizuno Wave Elixir 2, my favourite race shoes. :) And a pair of Asics GT-2130 Trail! So happy. I spied the shoe from the USA website but could not find it in Singapore until today. Very few shops bring it in, and I had no lobangs for it. Apparently the difference between USA and Australian versions was the shoe width. The non-USA shoes are D-width (ie. wider), which are what our shops carry. Can't wait to test them on the trails!

Went to Safra and did a 12km route with Heng, Alber, Henry, Adam & Philip. I baptized my new Elixir. Felt super lightweight. :) But I had to adjust and re-tie the laces a couple of times to the 'perfect' tension. We did a loop inside Canterbury estate. As we exited at Hort Park, we bumped into Anthony & Bev, who had ran to Kent Ridge Park earlier. The group continued towards Harbourfront & Kg Bahru.

After exiting Canterbury at Alexandra, I felt like I could pick up speed. Very very conscious of foot landing and hip response. Ran a bit faster and sustained the pace until Kg Bahru. For that short distance, things felt good. Hips felt confident, legs were obedient. But when I turned into Telok Blangah Rise, I could feel the tensions building in the hips. Utterly conservative me slowed down immediately and slowly jogged back to Safra.

Kenny made a guest appearance today. He came to train with Alan and the fast fast runners. Over dinner he was dispensing tips on training and recovery. Managed to get a sports physio contact from him & Melvin. Perhaps I'll give it a try too.

No comments: