Friday, May 2, 2008

New GTs

After a painfully long 3-day hiatus, I hit the road again. This time with my new GT-2130 in beautiful purple. Painfully long because it was really an ordeal not doing anything for 3 days. No workouts, no exercises, no runs, no rides. :( Boy, was I was grouchy this morning.

My colleague was going to blade at ECP and asked me along for a run. We left office early on a nice-weathered Friday evening and drove to B1. I almost forgot that I had my new shoes in the trunk. Perfect time to break them in. Felt kinda stiff and toe-off was unresponsive initially. Perhaps I was too used to the Mizuno or Pearl Izumi. But it would probably soften up a little after some mileage. Legs felt good, though was fighting the stiffy soles.

There were many people at the beach this evening. Scores of students sitting on the sand, at the BBQ pits, and old uncles taking dips in the sea. Not to mention the many runners, cyclists, strollers and bladers all fighting for a share of the paths. I decided to run to Safra country club and u-turn. There was a middle-aged uncle heading the same direction too. I tagged along behind him, our footsteps pounding the pavement. I saw my colleague who was blading up and down the country club a couple of times in order to wait for me. :) We waved goodbye and I continued on the return run.

The marker on the pavement indicated East Coast Park 0m. The uncle had gone ahead while I did some stretching. I tried to imagine that I was on Round 2 of Sundown. My gosh, the stretch was really quite mental. It was no fun to be there plodding on after 52km. Come to think of it, 84km was no fun either.

Soon I caught up with the uncle near the Bedok Jetty. He ended his run near the Seafood Centre. Hip was inauspiciously feeling tight again. I stretched a couple of times. It definitely had that familiar tightening feel so I stopped at C4, took a water break and tried stretching, rotating, massaging,.... whatever tricks I knew. It did not alleviate much. I ran, but stopped again near Big Splash. It was still stiff and hurt a little to walk. But I had rested 3 days! This was so unfair. I just felt like sitting there and sulk. :(

But of course I could not and did not. I had to get to my car. So I ran, massaged, ran, massaged until I reached B1. So upset. How to complete 84km like that? :((

No comments: