Sunday, May 4, 2008

MR25 Progressive Run 20km

Aim: pain-free run. Mantra for self-recital: pain-free run. Verdict: not so pain-free run.

Today was the MR25 Progressive Run 20km. I had 2 cartons of 100-plus with me so had to arrive early. Almost could not wake up in the morning. Reached MR before 630am, ample parking lots at that time. Taped my feet, wore my shoes, registered for the run. Not many Safra runners were around yet. Some of SGRunners were there already, DO, Anthony, Ricci, Ultra, Stardust.

The run was flagged off at 7am. We waited a while for Heng before joining the runners. They had dashed off fast ahead. I was hoping for a totally pain free run this morning. Hip felt good, no particularly feeling. Butt a bit sore, either from the massage or Pump class. Inner thighs sore. Must be the lunges and squats.

Slowly slowly. It was not very difficult to be the last runner. Took a sip at the 1st water point and continued running with Heng. I directed him into the golf course towards Pierce and he went ahead. Then I lost him for a short while, hmm... I think he made a wrong turn after the pump station. He reappeared after I reached Upp Pierce carpark. We ran to the aircon road. Most runners were already on the out-direction of the road. Some of the very fast runners (they were wearing number tags) had even finished the gate u-turn and were on their return towards MR! Did a quick stretch at the end of aircon road before continuing the run towards main gate. All that rolling slopes.

Reached the u-turn finally, and refilled my bottle. Very hot weather. Ran back to the carpark and straight for the water cooler at the toilet. There was no one with the number tag for miles ahead of me nor behind me. It was rather embarrassing to be wearing the tag. Maybe I should not have registered in the morning.

I turned into the trail after the golf course, under the treetop walk. There were people strolling on the bridge. Hip still cool. Butt still sore. Good sign for now. At least. My favourite part of MR run, the trail. Went down the slopes, crossed the canal, back into the trail and over the mini-stream. Rocks galore. Best fun! Focused. 1-2-1-2-1-2- hop hop hop over the stones and rocks. Ah the Jelutong Tower at last. The end was near.

I could feel my hip a little flaring up though. Damn. Took a stretch and went up the wooden platform. The exposed golf link was super hot. Stretched a few more times along the way. Walked up the roots section. Hip was starting to feel sore now. Sulk... Time check: 2:08h. At least I lasted beyond Friday's 17km and the soreness was much reduced. Yesterday's massage helped a lot, but it had not fully recovered. Demoralizing. Could not even run fast. Would be happy to be able to simply complete without pain.

Past the fitness station, almost finishing. Then I saw a guy on crutches. His right leg was amputated up to the hip and he was using two crutches and his remaining left leg to walk through the trail. He had a cap and looked fit and stout. I think he had been very active before/now. I wondered what happened. He had a very determined look, I could only imagine how tough it was for him to train in the trail. I smiled at him and gingerly greeted morning. Not vey loud, I thought he did not hear me. Then to my surprise, he responded with a very energised Morning! Full of strength, which perked me up tremendously. :)

At least enough to finish the run. Alber and Sumiko were waiting for me near the zebra crossing. Everyone else had returned long ago. Saw Henry too - he came late. He told me he had just gotten a new bike, same model as mine. Ah... welcome to the roads on 2-wheels. :) We washed up and went for brunch at Adam Rd hawker centre. Sumiko told us her Gold Coast travel plans. Sounded like a good deal, very appealing. :)

Came home and thoroughly vaccummed and wiped my little greenie. Cute.

No comments: