Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Run that Died

A few of us tapering for Sundown went separately for a run to Botanic Gardens - Anthony, Bev, myself, Alber, Adam, Philip, Eddie and Alvin (a young chap who had not come for some time). We had 1.5hr to return. Anthony confidently said that we could complete 14km and be back at Safra within that time. .... What he did not mention was that the planned route was more than 14km. Haha.

The guys ran ahead, chatting merrily, and yet gaining pace along the way, while Bev and I tried to follow behind. They got faster and faster, and the gap between us widened by the minute. It was so demoralizing!

It was a run all gone wrong. Everything that could have died and malfunctioned did just that. First my footpod. Blink-blink-blink-........... no light. Pressed and turned it on again. No flashing green light. Tried a few times at various junctions. Finally it surrendered and showed me a red light.

Then at Dempsey, I felt a sudden soreness in my hip. Damn. I thought it had fully recovered. Could have been triggered by the initial fast pace and upslope along Tanglin before Ridley, and trying to catch up. I stopped to stretch a little and decided to skip Botanic Gardens. I told Anthony & Bev that I was heading back via Holland Road. It was much more relaxing jogging alone, getting into my own slow rhythm and breathing. No strain on the joints nor hip. But alas, so slow that Alber managed to catch up just before the Holland-Farrer junction. It was just one of those utterly demoralizing run that I just wanted it to end immediately. :(

No comments: