Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Dreadmill Happiness

Yeah yeah yeah, I managed 4km on the dreadmill today. Happiness! It was my first attempt at running decently on my bad foot.

I spent the afternoon mulling over where to go tonight. BodyPump class? Or Safra swim? A nagging part of me wanted to run. Counting down to HK made one anxious. I had a sudden brainwave. I could attempt to run a short distance on the dreadmill! So if my foot still hurt, I could always do some weights and conditioning or swim. How smart! Or rather, how foolish I did not think of that earlier.

So I went to Safra and decided to swim before the run, otherwise the pool would get crowded. It already was fairly crowded when I reached. I swam 30 laps in 42:57min - my fastest I think. Of course it was hardly bragging material, to which Alber simply commented I should swim faster. Duh....

I put on my running shoes, loosened the laces around my foot and hopped onto a dreadmill. I gradually increase the speed and stepped on very gingerly. I did not dare to put my full weight on my foot or run hard. Compared to the two sweaty guys next to me, arms swinging hard, I hardly looked like a runner. I barely broke sweat. I aimed to run for 30min to 'test' my foot. Along the way I increased the speed every 7-10min. I did some abs, plank and rotational drills before calling it a day.

Happy to complete around 4km with no significant pain in my foot. Great! The dreadmill did not seem so dreadful afterall! Haha. Now, 38km more to go.....

No comments: