Saturday, January 10, 2009

Riding Solo

I took my bike and headed out to Mandai. It was drizzling slightly at my place initially but that stopped after a short while. The weather in the afternoon was fabulous - cool and breezy. The headwinds and tailwinds were rather strong too. Today's ride was my second ride and much better than last week where I went flat-flat-flat. I rode past the zoo and saw several Safra Avventura signages, one pointing into the zoo from a traffic light junction opposite the zoo entrance, and others along Mandai Ave towards Yishun. Ah, so that was part of the route.

I reached Seletar reservoir and decided to cycle further in to explore the Seletar airbase area. There was a group of MTBrs coming out and several cars going into the country club. I did not venture very far but ended up in the industrial area where they were building the new aerospace hub. On the way out, I stopped for a while at the reservoir to take in the scenery. Passing by lower Seletar Water Venture site, there were some vehicles by the road side setting up logistics. I would not have taken note of them if not for a road cone that said "Safra". Haha, so that would probably be the kayak venue for the race. Mental note to self to text my friends who were taking part. :)

Drivers tended to give some road space, especially if they see a female cyclist. It also helped that the Mandai stretch had several road signs cautioning of cyclists ahead. However, on every ride, there would be the inevitable speeding truckers or lorries that whizzed by us closely, throwing us off-balance or sucking us into their tailwinds. Those drivers were either (1) inexperienced and clueless about the effect of their speed or size on cyclists, or (2) plain inconsiderate and did not care. I had two zooming past me suddenly today on my way home. *#$%(!#

Reached home with ample time to wash my bike and also clean the car (while I had all the cleaning stuff). Distance: 50km..... not quite enough to burn off the huge seafood dinner that awaited.

No comments: