Monday, February 23, 2009

Switzerland Day 2 - Grindelwald Snowed In!

Photos

There was massive snow overnight and today. The snow shovers were out in full force, regularly clearing the roads for cars and buses. It was amazing that the buses were still right on the dot, true to Swiss transport efficiency.

My grand plan was to take the rail up to Jungfraujoch - Top of Europe, which was why I came to this region in the first place. Unfortunately, the heavy snow meant visibility was no good and could not see far. In fact, all the surrounding mountains that I saw in yesterday's perfect weather had 'vanished' in the whiteness!

So I changed plans and headed for Mannilichen to try out sledging, on the advice of the friendly tourist centre service staff. It was an activity where one sat on a wooden sledge and navigated yourself down the snow slopes - great for non-skiers and children. Alas, the lady at the cable car ticket advised that the snow was too high for sledges or hiking! So I saved my money, headed back to town, and spent the rest of the afternoon checking out gear shops and renting my ski equipment, for tomorrow's class.

No comments: