Sunday, February 8, 2009

Hongkong Stanchart Marathon 2009

This would be my 3rd time running the HKSCM full marathon, but I was full of nagging doubts. Just 2 weeks before the trip, I could barely run 10km without feeling pain in my foot. I was under-conditioned for the distance and my legs had different plans of their own. I did not have high hopes for the race this year, and was mentally prepared to flag the sweeper bus if I crossed the cut-off times at various checkpoints.

This year I stayed at the Kimberley Hotel. Sandy was at the same hotel and kindly helped to collect our race packs. The hotel was a very convenient location. The morning of the race (8am start), I woke at 7am, had my instant oats + milo breakfast, and strolled down to the start line with 8min to spare. The VIPs were already present and getting ready to flag off the marathon runners. Chief Executive Donald Tsang was the guest-of-honour for the race. I knew only because my picture was coincidentally captured on the front page of the South China Morning Post - a tiny little head in the background, just below Donald Tsang's outstretched waving hands!

The morning was rather warm, 20 deg-C, unlike last year's 13 deg-C. I mistakenly wore my Nike long sleeved and 2XU tights, only to be greeted by the warm air. Most other runners were in typical sleeveless vests and shorts. I was very conservative during the first 7-8km, feeling my foot and knee (last year's injury). My first 10km took slightly past an hour. Alber had already sped ahead the moment we crossed the timing mat, so I could only catch sight of him at various u-turn stretches. I did not the see the other Safra runners until 16-17km mark, after they turned around.

When I reached the 20km mat and turning point, my legs could feel the lactic and I wondered how to survive another round of 20km. At 24km, I went to one of the mobile loos, and took the chance to remove my Nike top. Ah, now the weather felt much better, cooler. I ate a powergel, and picked up speed at 25-27km. Caught up with Alex who overtook me earlier, and had a running photo taken. Vanity! Haha. Looking at my watch, I felt that I could complete the race in 4:20-4:30h. But shortly after, disaster struck. I felt a churning in my stomach, like diarrhea. Gosh, I had never had a bad stomach during any race or climb. From then on, I was on the lookout for loos along the route. The worst section was the 35-37km tunnel stretch. There was no water points or loos inside the tunnel. I was forced to walk the 2km because any running made my stomach more urgent! It was pure happiness and desperation when I spied one immediately after we cleared the tunnel. I was in a pathetic state....

I managed to walk (upslopes) and run (downslopes) and hung in there until the last upslope at the dreaded 41km point. I was about to sip my drink when Henry came from behind and grabbed my arm, wanting to drag me along. I told him to go ahead. As we rounded the bend into the final 1-2km stretch, the public lined the streets and were clapping loudly in encouragement. Shirley called my name from the side as I ran past her. Adrenalin and peer pressure kept me running to the end. I crossed the line finally at 4:48h, a rather long run. Alber was back long ago, at 4:00h. Fantastic timing for him. As for me, I was extremely thankful that my legs did not give me problems beyond the usual muscle soreness! Welcome back, dear Legs! :)

1 comment:

The DreamRunner said...

PS,

good run, especially incident-free in nice weather.

Alber is on a trailblaze....looking forward to his sub-4hr soon...KL Marathon in June? hehe

Congrats to both of you *thumbs-up*

Cheers!