Thursday, February 12, 2009

Catching Up, Literally

Felt rather tired today, body still reeling from the culture shock of Tues swim. *blink* I got to the RPM studio thinking I should be at facial or the spa instead. Hmmm..... Anyhow, got my usual corner bike, and proceeded to ride the class at a leisurely pace. Mentally I had a lot going through my mind. There were many trips coming up - one HK down (as well as a busted wallet. What economic downturn?!) , and 3 more lined up back-to-back. Some work, some personal. That meant 3 sets of logistics, admin and preparations. I was getting my hotels, air tickets and dates mixed up, not to mention rescheduling my trainings and makeup classes etc. Too many deadlines and considerations for various to-do items. Or whether to register for Aviva, when to train... Plus a series of work assignments choking in the pipeline related to the trips. Oh I needed to clear my brain, it was too busy. Even in sleep I thought of those issues.

After class, I met Jan, KC, KM, Alex, Michelle and XinHui over at a snazzy cafe called Wine Company opposite the SMu tracks. It looked pretty elegant from the outside, but had a cheerful outdoor area - cheerful because we were laughing loudly and chilling out in runner's attire. Oops. It was nice to catch up with them and hear about their run coaching and races. It would also be tough catching up with them because everyone had progressed so much over the past months. KM's programme was pretty effective, almost everyone (80-85%?) achieved their PBs and marathon targets. I, on the other hand, had no confidence yet to resume proper runs and training. I know, being fresh out of HKSCM did not exactly qualify as 'have not been running'. I was constantly mindful of potential injuries or trigger points, and held back.

I had pretty much laid off running (properly) since mid-Sept til now. My knee gave me major problem for a good 3 months, recovering a lot better only after SCSM when I went climbing for 3 weeks. It had a proper respite from the pounding. Then my foot set me down for another 2 months. So in the last 5 months, I had not been training 'normally'. Ironically still, I did 3 marathons in not so great timings. Time to lay off runs for a while. Perhaps I should simply focus on improving my 5ks and getting stronger.

No comments: