Sunday, February 22, 2009

Switzerland Day 1 - Grindelwald

Photos

I love love love long haul flights especially those on SQ. I just love the idea of checking in and turning up at some faraway destination with both apprehension and excitement. So here I am, after a 12h flight and 3-4hr train ride (with 2 interchanges), in the lovely town of Grindelwald in Switzerland. Grindelwald is located within the Jungfrau region which is a UNESCO heritage site.

It was almost noon when I reached my hostel - Downtown Lodge - a cheap B&B hostel that I booked at the last minute, and thankfully got myself a dorm bed. But this was afterall the land of graciousness and civilization, so hostels are perfectly clean and comfortable.

First stop, the Ski school where I had booked myself for an adults' class on Monday. There I got ideas for what to do for the rest of the day. I found my way to First station to take the ski gondola up to "First", then took the Flier ride. It was like a flying fox except you were strapped to a harness with legs dangling and going down at 84kmh for 30sec. Then I hiked down the mountain, amidst all the skiers and snow-boarders. Midway through, I bailed out and caught the gondala back to the train station.

Grindelwald is a small town, everything within walking distance. I realised that my hostel pass entitled me to free entry to the sports centre, which had an indoor swimming pool. I tried it, it was not conducive for laps but quite a good perk up.

Rather jetlagged now.....

No comments: