Monday, February 2, 2009

Irritating & Inconsiderate Swimmers

I felt so lazy today. I went to Frankie during lunch to tui-na my foot. Ouch. I must have been over-zealous last night, self-rubbing it. It felt stiff and slightly painful this morning when I walked around. So I got it wrapped up in medicated cream the entire afternoon in the office.

That left me with nothing else but to swim this evening. Swim swim swim. The weather looked grey and gloomy, the water looked cold. No choice, I was already at Safra. Made a date with Alber to hit the waters tday. So there I was, in my new cyan bikini, trying not to yelp when I jumped into the pool. Ok to be fair, it was not as cold as last week's Fish class.

The pool was relatively empty when I entered, I could still afford a lane to myself. Then it started filling up. Two lanes were closed off for Navy Biathlon time trial, with a giant digital timer set up. Haha, I could pretty much time myself and know that I would not meet the 40min. Anyhow I swam, and swam, and swam. And ducked swimmers. Brrr..... Irritiating swimmers. There were those who could not keep to their lanes, and those who swam without ever looking up to see where they were headed - they probably thought they were like torpedoes, fired up and charging ahead blindly. And then there were those (male) breast-strokers who almost became just that, their arm pulls coming so close, I had to deliberately siam! Finally the most irritating swimmer was this chap doing butterfly strokes, churning out huge tsunamis along the way in the very crowded pool. I was next to him, which meant sometimes I risked having the water splash right in my face as I turned to breathe. Idiot! *grumbles*

Peter, Jason and Siew Lee were there too, training hard for the biathlon. So fast, so effortless.... unlike me, still so slow. Anyhow, I swam 40 laps in exactly 1h, and still felt good for another 10 after that. I wanted to time 40 laps to see if I could possibly make it under the Aviva 1:10h cut-off for 1.9km sea swim. Looked promising.... with 10min to spare for struggling in the sea, obstructions etc. Hmm.... should I sign up for Aviva, times are bad, wallet's in recession too. *ponder*

No comments: