Thursday, September 11, 2008

Fragility & Futility

In the past few days, I have been thinking about the fragility of our existence and bodies. We train so much, so hard, only to be beaten by sudden illnesses and injuries. A very good friend was recently warded, a sudden case that gave me a great scare. The very same evening, my brother cracked his ankle on the soccer field. As for me, 'nuff said about my legs. Not to mention the increasing numbers of healthy 'non-risk profile' people who are dropping like flies at the finishing lines.

Experts say we should aim for a single big race a year and work hard at it. Having too many events distract us from our goals, interrupt our trainings, and over-stress our bodies with inadequate recovery. But the same experts could not foresee other non-race disruptions that erupt in our faces, derailing us completely from the plans. Putting all the eggs in one basket, forgoing everything else and gearing up for that one big thing, but only to drop the basket near line, does not seem like a sound strategy to me. Instant gratification, grab the experience whenever there is a chance. I think I prefer that motto instead. You never know what might hit you. A friend used to quip - The lights at the end of the tunnel........ is an oncoming train.

No comments: