Tuesday, September 30, 2008

5km Test Run

Attempted a short jog around Safra. Dragged Alber along for the company. We did Depot Rd, Alexandra, Telok Blangah and Henderson, a 5.20km route (according to mapmyrun.sg). I strapped a patella guard tightly around my knee for support and off we went. Knee felt ok for the first 10-15min. Then it started feeling a little tight after 20min. I stopped about twice to stretch, part of the pain being masked behind the patella guard. I experimented with different foot strikes to test the pain distribution. Finally made it back to Safra after 38min (Sheesh!), just in time for Alber to join in the hill training tonight.

I went to the pool, the water looked murky. One of the filters was not working. No wonder there were so few swimmers tonight. I jumped in anyway and tried to do some laps. But water visibility was very poor, you could hardly see the swimmer ahead of you until it was too late - collision! Well, that did happen. Melvin Lee (Jr) was swiming too (he forgot his running shoes!) and we collided into each other from opposite directions, shoulder to shoulder bump. Haha.

I gave up after 10 laps and went to the smaller training pool. The water was equally cloudy, I guessed it was a central filtration pumping system. Did drills in the training pool - catch up drills and kicks. Coach sent me videos of my swim from last Friday. My hands were flaying too widely and away from my body. My legs were sinking, almost. So I had to pull closer and kick harder.

Rushed to the airport with Alber after Safra training. My little sister was going to Oxford tonight for her 4-year undergrad studies. The whole family was at the airport for the send-off. How exciting, a new phase of independence and experiences!

No comments: