Sunday, September 7, 2008

Long Sunday Ride

A day of messed up trainings. The guys set off at 5am for 70.3 - good luck everyone! I trooped to MR at 7am for training. KM planned 25km run (thought only 18km!) for me - boy's x-country route x2 + northern trail x2. But my knee was still hurting. Managed 5km before the tightness kicked in. Walked and it eased up, ran 5min and it returned. After a series of start-stops, I gave up. Disaapointed that I could not run on such a lovely Sunday morning. :( But KM did not let me off, I had to find some activity to clock the time equivalent of the long endurance run. He suggested swimming...... good golly no way. Swimming 2.5h is impossible... Perhaps a swim and stationary bike. Oh else a good long road ride. I settled for the less mental one - ride! Thought of doing BT trek with backpack, but did not think I should further stress my knee going up and down those high steps.

Drove home, packed my bike and went to West Coast to do the Tuas route. Would have to clock 60ish km. Had to rush for an afternoon appointment as well, so everything was a mad dash. The route was deliberately chosen to smack into the headwinds at Raffles Marina and Tuas, for training purpose. Had not ridden my bike nor attended RPM much since Desaru. Legs were still quite lactic-laden but thankfully no pain in the knee during cycling. 64km and had to rush off. Would have loved to ride longer.

Had no time to return home to drop off bike, so went to NUS for shower instead. In the end, my appointment was postponed since I was late. Which was all as well, since I also had to rush to 70.3 and meet Alber and the rest. After a couple of wrong carpark judgement and missed turns on the road, I finally got to the race transition area. There were many participants leaving, but also many who were still running. I managed to spot Alber's bike - so bright, how to miss?! Spotted Lee, Chin KK, Richard, Robert and Chee Mun as well. The rest was out at the main finishing area. Sumiko won 3rd place. JD did well too. Seeing all the buzz, I half wished I was also racing. Next year. :)

Speaking of next year, so my interview results came as I was finishing my ride in the morning. Both my friend and I did not make it, but strangely I was not as disappointed. Maybe that disappointment would kick in later or tomorrow. It was an interview for the Commonwealth Antarctic Expedition, and 10 candidates were interviewed out of 80 applicants. In the end, two were chosen: http://www.straitstimes.com/Singapore/Story/STIStory_276336.html. The ladies had good background profiles, and I think they would be able to inspire if the expedition was a success. In any case, no regrets, I was glad I applied and tried for it. So now that the expedition was no longer on my calendar next year, I would be freed up to plan events for 2009. :) My friend said that was such an optimistic response. Haha.

No comments: