Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Core Running

I went for another test run this evening around Canterbury. I did some light stretching before heading out. The air was cool after a day's rainfall, but my mind was too focused and conscientious over my knee to notice the surroundings.

The first 12min to Hort Park traffic junction went ok. I briefly massaged my knee while waiting for the light. Moving on into Canterbury estate, there was some lower patella pain, especially on the downslopes.

I experimented with the running technique, very mindful to use what Gino showed me - lean & fall forward, tuck in core and use core to run. Gino also explained that that allowed our big muscle groups like quads and hamstrings to absorb the impact of running, rather than our knee joints. To my surprise, when I deliberately sucked in my core and elongated my spine, the pain in my knee lessened. My footsteps landings were also lighter on the downslope. Just to exaggerate, I relaxed my core and sort of dropped my hip. I could feel my steps heavier with more stomping. On the downhill in particular, holding in my core, body upright naturally led to a 'perky' butt position which minimised the impact of downslope braking. Wow! In comparison, if the core is not held, my pelvic drops and each landing resonated up my leg. Hmmm, interesting observation.

Finished the run. The magic 1h!! Yes!!

I continued with another 40min of stretching and conditioning in the gym. *fingers crossed*

No comments: