Thursday, January 3, 2008

First Run of the Year

My legs were sore and my calves felt like rocks. I perched on my working shoes in their little sharp heels and felt the lower legs burning. Perhaps finally the crazy adventures of the past days had caught up with me.

Needless to say, the evening Safra run went horribly slow. A trot-along recovery it was. An estimated 11km into the Cantebury estate and Harbourfront route. The faster runners in the front did an extra loop whilst Chairman made the slower ones behind skip a turn to narrow the gap. It was always a maze inside Cantebury. I still get lost even now, and I have a fairly decent sense of direction. Ahh. On the way back, I chatted with Anthony about my MR ultra and his Chiangmai marathon. He was on a very comfortable recovery pace and accompanied Beverly, who soon ran ahead of us. Yours truly, on the other hand, was doing all I could to sustain a conversation at his pace. Breathe. Legs dragging.

Post-run, I had a separate dinner with the "steamboat gang" - Eddie, Sumiko, JD, Alvin, KM and Alber. We all squeezed into Alvin's car and went for XO fish soup. Next dinner outing would be to JB to celebrate Sumiko's birthday soon. Looking forward to another boisterous affair. We also discussed the KL Marathon in March, and wondering if I should go for that.

Friends had been sending me links to all sorts of events around the globe. All very tempting and extreme. I wonder if I should dedicate 2008 as a year of running, amongst others, and not do a major climb this year. Or if I should replicate 2007's exciting agenda of an event every month. A very tired me soon fell asleep, lulled into my dreamy adventurous world.

No comments: