Sunday, January 13, 2008

MF60? MF65?

Slept late last night and had only 4ish hours of sleep. I woke up to my alarm, feeling sluggish and heavy. And sleepy. Did my usual pre-run routine and hitched a ride to Safra from Heng. The route this morning was one of my favourites - South Buona Vista, NUS, Kent Ridge Park and MF Hill - almost all the hills in the vicinity. It was reportedly 25km, but it seemed longer than that.

I had strained my gluteus maximus muscle (more affectionately called The Butt) while doing reverse crunches a few days ago, and my calves felt like rocks. The run felt forever. When we started, Heng, Alber were a little ahead of Wayne, who was a little ahead of me, and Jaime and Michael were a little behind me. After some time, Heng and Alber disappeared from my sight. Wayne was a respectable distance in front of me, and I could hear Jaime and Michael's conversation from right behind me. I was pretty much the last runner, lonely in my own thoughts and stiff legs. Shortly after I entered NUH, Teck Hou came running out of the loop. While I ran from Science Faculty to the Alumni House, Ong, Ricci, Derrick and Lai Chee appeared consecutively in the opposite direction. I saw no one else subsequently until I exited the NUS loop and met Wayne at the junction towards Kent Ridge Park. He ran ahead while I continued on my slow KR loops.

My mind was distracted. I was the absolute last now. No other club runner was in sight. Perhaps we should call ourselves the MF60 or MF65 club (similar to MR25). New members should be able to complete our 10km MF loop in 60/65min. I would barely scrap through that criteria. At the pace we were running, slow runners would totally be discouraged from joining the club. I also had an uneasy feeling that only fast runners would be welcomed. Talent spotting was always part of the game. I guess it was a self-selection thing.

I planned to take a break and refill my water at the toilet in the park. Alas, there was no water in the flushes, the tap and the water cooler! I continued onto the wooden bridge. Looking down, I realized that I was 'running above' Cantebury estate and the new horiculture park. At the Henderson Road junction, I contemplated where to return to the club or proceed up MF. Since I was so slow, I might as well go for the time mileage instead. Afterall, I needed to burn off the cheese cakes and buffet I had last night. I half-ran-half-walked up MF and met Alber in the opposite direction. He did a reverse from Morse Road and MF loops. I persisted through MF and back to Telok Blangah Rise. Everyone had left to shower when I returned. Reward for my run - 1kg of water loss. I had better buck up since the GE Pacesetter run was only a week away.

1 comment:

Linda Tan said...

Heh, if the club's only for fast runners, well, then you're a fast runner, babe! :p It seems that the culture of the group is such that it seeks improvement? Chairman does seem to incorporate measures like varying the distances for runners of different speeds, so that the whole group still runs together. But I guess it can only be manipulated up to a certain degree, and the natural selection would be beneficial to all, wouldn't it?