Sunday, March 21, 2010

Trails & Aviva 70.3

A run in the trails is always uplifting and recharging. I was supposed to be cheering at the Aviva race this morning. But I need my run, desperately. I missed Friday and Saturday and did absolutely nothing. I woke up to a cool morning, and refused to get out of bed. The weather was fabulous! What a great day for a race, as I thought of all my friends attempting their iron-pursuits. :)

When I finally did, it was 9am! Oh bummer! A mad rush to MR and a mad dash around the 10km loop. Started off fast, cleared the SICC northern trail 5min ahead of my usual. SICC was certainly a very unfriendly neighbour to us public park users. They now had a guard along the tiny car park drive, and the guy shooed me back onto the trail path. It was barely 50m! Fuming....

I stopped for a drink at the ranger station water cooler and continued. The sun was slowly peeping from behind the clouds. I continued and tried to keep up the pace. But trails have a way of channeling out my energies and calming me. It was all about 'going with the flow'. Wow, so zen! 1:04min. Hmmm... not great. Don't think I would ever break the 1h barrier. To some, running is the means to a time achievement. But to me, running is the end in itself. Run for run's sake.

Done with the run, a quick shower, and I was off to ECP. It was fun to be on the other side of the racing fence for a change. :) The YF folks were there with a great support tentage. We shouted ourselves silly, cheered fellow trainees and strangers alike. It was a great atmosphere and I was enjoying myself immensely. There was a guy who really looked like Alber from afar, albeit shorter. So much so that the guys shouted Alber each time he ran past. Norris even offered beer, much to the guy's bewilderment! Hilarious!

Everyone completed the race safely and many in good timing too. Well done all! Now I'm inspired to race...

No comments: