Thursday, November 13, 2008

FatBird iRun & Nike Air Zooms

I joined Fatbird for the i-Run tonight at River Promenade (outside the Fat Bird statue). It was the first time I joined in their run. Esther (Passion), Ronnie, Anthony, DO, and Roslyn were there. Good to see them again!

My main purpose was to test my pacer Nike shoes tonight. I was issued a pair of Nike Structured Triax, with Air Zoom soles. When I used them last week at Canterbury loop, my hip felt really strained. I had to stop several times to stretch my right ITB. My left knee was also inflammed after the run.

So I had to do a controlled experiment to verify if it was the shoes or me (having just returned from a long flight). I managed to race through Powerman that weekend with my Mizuno runners. On Tuesday, I wore my Asics for another trial around Canterbury. My quads and calves were aching big-time from Powerman, yet knee and hip felt ok after run, and there was little inflammation.

Today I decided to test the Nikes again. I had a physio session in the afternoon, so I was all 'set' rightly. After 26min, my hips felt strained and my knee ached again. Then the pain eased. But at 50min, it returned. Hmmm.... I had a similarly bad experience with a pair of Nike Elite Air Zoom shoes 5 years ago. My ITB would tighten after 5km without fail on each run. I dunked those shoes. Since then, I dared not use Nike running shoes (Nike tennis shoes were ok). Until now. And the prognosis still looked bleak....

No comments: