Thursday, November 20, 2008

Lactate Threshold & VO2max Tests

Part of the DSO-marathon study required us to undergo a medical screening (to certify that we were in ok shape to partake in the study), and a lactate threshold and VO2max test. My ECG and 2D-echo and battery of blood tests were normal, musculo-skeletal (aka a series of rotations and limb movements) was functioning too. So I showed up at the DSO physio lab. Two army recruits were out on threadmills in the sun, in full combat gear and doing some tests, breathing into face masks. How interesting.

First, I had to do a fat-pinch measurement. The researcher (I think he's German or Swiss) marked litte crosses on my biceps, triceps, waist, quads and calves. Then he had a caliper device to pinch the flesh on those areas and measured them. He repeated 2-3 times.

Next up, lactate threshold treadmill test. I put on a face mask that measured the amount of oxygen intake (or something). The aim was to run for 3min intervals. Every 3min, I would straddle the treadmill while a researcher pricked my little finger to get 2 lactic acid readings, and another upped the speed by 0.5kmh. There was also an exertion chart that I pointed at to indicate the level of hardness of my workout. The aim was to find the point of inflexion where the amount of lactic acid in the body started to spike, a sharp increase. I started at 8.5kmh and gradually went up to 12 or 12.5kmh (can't recall). I think my threshold point was around 11.5/ 12kmh. Then I rested for 15min. On average, I used more oxygen than the previous test candidates. (cos iron deficient)

The last test was VO2max. That involved running on the treadmill at a constant speed, but the elevation would be increased by 1.0 every (I think) 1-2min, until the point of surrender. It was meant to be a tough test, pushed to the limit. The researchers were shouting encouraging remarks throughout the test. I managed to hit 6.0 or 7.0 (didn't see clearly) before cutting the test. At which point I was really huffing and puffing. Whew!

We would not be getting the test results until after the marathon. Can't wait to see what my report card says!

Anyway, off to a quick shower and meet Lee for a belated birthday dinner at Hooha Cafe off Pasir Panjang Village. It was well known for its succulent steak, and it certainly did not disappoint. :)

No comments: