Monday, November 10, 2008

Powerman Malaysia 2008

Powerman Malaysia, Lumut, Perak (9 Nov 2008)
http://picasaweb.google.com/simsps/PowermanMalaysia9Nov2008#

Pre-race

We reached our hotel, Oriental Star, in Lumut earlier this year, as compared to last year. The unloading of bicycles and wheels was a lot more systematic too, having gained experience the last round. We had breakfast, checked-in, and washed up. As before, Melody from the organizers came to our hotel to issue our race packs and conduct the race briefing. Then we had 2 buses to bring us to the stadium race site, to look at the race expo and start/ transition area. That was followed by a heavy seafood lunch, and a trip to Giant supermarket to buy our breakfast, water and so forth. At night we met Snr Chua and Sok Hwa, and we drove to Kg Cina (where we went in the morning, and where all the Chinese restaurants were) for dinner. We chose a restaurant nearby our lunch venue, and saw other groups of Singapore racers there. Even the race organizers were there as well! The food was fresher and nicer than lunch.

Race-Day

We met at 5.45am to load our luggage and then rode off around 6.30am to the start point. It was a 8km leisure ride, and many were in the transition area when we arrived. I was apprehensive and jittery about my run/ knee. Oh well, just grit through the race. Sandy's transition pit was next to mine, our surnames (Siew & Sim) ensured we were usually near each other during races.

First 11km run. I ran fairly fast by my standard, 1hr exactly. It was cloudy and shady, good weather for now. I spotted couples running together, side by side. How sweet. Jessica and Ken. Sylvia and can't-remember-his-name. I entered the bike transition, Eddie was slightly behind but he rode out faster. I took my time to change my shoes and munch on the powerbar. Argh, the ankle timing chip strap caused abrasion and it bled onto my sock and shoe.

Cycle 64km. It was the same route as last year. 2 loops of 32km (or 4 sets of 16km up and down the same road). There were 3 bridges to clear. The first was a baby one, then a slightly longer and steeper one, and finally the last one that loomed in your face even from afar. Weird, I did not really feel the bridges last year, they did not seem as imtimidating.... Anyway, look down, change gear, keep pace and climb the slopes. I felt so unconditioned for the ride. My left problematic knee felt more acute pain on the ride, than run. Now I wondered which triggered the injury - run or bike? By 45km (just before the last u-turn) climbing the 3rd long bridge, my thighs almost cramped. Ok that was no good. It meant I would suffer on the run. Easy easy, would be disastrous if I cramped on an upslope and fell off. The last 16km of the ride went by slowly, trying not to cramp.

Run 10km. Two loops of 5km. The run was bad. 5min out of transition on the road, and both quads cramped. I could not move, and just stood on the road and massaging my legs. It hurt. I could not recall the last time I had a cramp and forgot what it felt like. :( Many familiar faces passed me, and they were on their 2nd run laps already. Grace, Jess & Ken, Kristal, Sok Hwa, and so many. Oh damn. After 15min of slow walk, I could finally trot again. I took 45min to clear the first 5km. Argh. The sun was out and it was terribly terribly hot. I was mentally so lazy to run the 2nd loop, strolling a lot. Li Xia overtook me too, I tried to keep sight of her, but she just went non-stop. Then I spotted Chin Yeh walking in front of me. By then, the aim was to budget my time exactly so that I could get back just under the 5h cut-off. Races this year end were no good at all. Each event barely scrapping the cut-off time limit. Last year I had a lot of time clearance to spare, and did not even feel as tired. Every part of the legs threatened to cramp - quads, calves, shins, toes....

Finally made it in 4:58h. Hmmm, maybe the 2nd race was always worst than the first time? It was delightful to get a cold wet towel and ice-cold water after the race. But sadly, they did not have decent finisher tees. What was it with races that made all the tees look like over-sized pyjamas, which one would not even wear to bed?! We showered at the public changing rooms at the stadium, ahhh that was the best part of the race. The post-race award lunch was much better this year in terms of quality and quantity (last year, they ran severely out of food). The buses were late and we waited for a long time at the car park. One of the participants, Li Xia, had heat exhaustion and was sent to the hospital for saline drip. Luckily she recovered in time and returned to join us for the bus ride home. By the time we loaded everything and left the stadium, it was 4pm. We stopped at MacDonalds to pack some food before the start of the long ride.

We reached Singapore Lavender terminal around 1.45am. Gosh, such a long day. Unloading the bicycles and driving home took some time. By the time I unpacked and got to bed, it was 4am. Yawn.... why go through the pain of the journey and race at all, when all I did was scrap the cut-off time? Such gluttony for pain.......

No comments: