Saturday, July 18, 2009

Ironguides Workshop

Attended a fabulous workshop organized by Shem and conducted by Vinnie Santana, a master-coach based in Bangkok. Picked up many useful little tips on training and racing for triathlons across all distances - OD, 70.3, IM. The kind of tips that are Ah-Ha! lightbulb moments for an inexperienced amateur like me. Just listening to different race stories was rewarding in itself. Not earth-shattering, but little tricks and observations derived from experience. I was reminded of my perennial marathon tip that I kept sharing with people (after I suffered my first marathon) - trim those toe nails! Commen-sense, right? But nobody told me those trivial stuff when I first ran, and I lost my first couple of nails after that.

We had a whole day of lecture & practicals. Swim lecture, followed by a 20min pool dip to try out. Then a talk on bike & run training, and we headed out to the road for a 20min run drill. Excited with learning new stuff! Eg. cricket arm, a swim-flip to get around the sea buoy, a low cadence for tri-bike, etc.

All too often, triathletes train Swim. + Bike. + Run. In essence, triathlon is all about balancing the 3 disciplines- f(swim, bike, run). If we dissected an elite triathlete, and compared elite-for-elite, he would be a poor swimmer, bad rider, and lousy runner. (Well,.... although the top IMers still run 42km in sub-3h, which is far far better than many runners out there... champion marathoners do abt 2:10ish times.) But putting all 3 together, and the guy would ace it. That was somewhat comforting to me. Forever in a schizo phase of wanting to improve my run times, and wanting to experience triathlons. (Note the word 'complete', not timing.) And not knowing how to spread my time properly.

No comments: