Friday, August 15, 2008

Counting Down

About 6-7 years ago, I read a ST feature on active couples who raced in triathlons together. The image is still vivid in my mind today, as I recalled being in awe by the triathletes themselves, let alone coming in a paired package. At a point in my life where I only ran a maximum of 7km, I wistfully wondered when it would be my turn.

Fast forward to today. I am eagerly looking forward to my first half-IM distance in Desaru this weekend. I would never have imagined myself going for such a race so soon. My premise had that Desaru had no time cut-offs so I could attempt the route in relative comfort. If I were to DNF my maiden race, at least I did not have to rack up a huge race fee. So with a deep breath, eyes closed, I jumped on the application form. Submit. Click. There. For all my cool rationality, I have no idea where I get my wirings for such crazy antics. Plunge right in, then figure out what to do next. It certainly is not hereditary, adventure does not run in my lineage. My colleague suggests that everyone has an exit valve to rebel and turn away from our regular selves. Crazy adventures could be mine.

For now, I am contented to count down 22hrs to the race. My goal is simply to enjoy the process, soak in the event, and pamper myself with a nice spa (hopefully!) after the race. :)

1 comment:

Workingdonkey said...

all the best for your desaru race!!