Sunday, August 3, 2008

Rolling Hills and Headwinds

Alber's back from his 1-week Sydney trip. And his welcome home treat was a bike tekkan session by me. Haha. We met up with Henry at West Coast park under the blazing afternoon sun. I planned a 70ish km circuit route, taking advantage of the rolling bridges along Penjuru & Jln Buroh, and the long flats but strong headwinds at Tuas. The idea was to maximize ride time instead of many start-stop traffic junctions, so we confined the ride to a smaller area, but repetitive loops.

There were 4 bridges/ flyovers along Jln Buroh - Pandan Bridge, Penjuru Flyover, Buroh Bridge, and Jurong Port Flyover. I had us do the rolls (7km each direction) 3 times, and branch off at Jurong Pier Rd to Jln Ahmad Ibrahim. Heading straight to Raffles Marina & turning left at Tuas Bus Terminal, we rode smack into the strong headwinds and could only maintain an avg speed of 25kmh. The road joined up with my usual training flats at Tuas South Ave 3. We u-turned at Tuas Power Station, and repeated the Raffles Marina loop. It was headwinds all over again.

We rode about 58km before stopping at Tuas Amenity Centre for a drink. Alas the coffeeshop was closed! Luckily there were some little mama shops available for buying drinks. The sun was really hot today, and my already tiny tights were leaving all sorts of ugly tan lines on the thighs! :( Not to mention a permanent Oakley imprint on my face. :((

The return ride of less than 20km was over in a while, except the pain of having to cross the 4 rolling bridges again. I focused on my cadence and gears. I was practising the smaller crank and high cadence spin, and must admit it paid off. My legs felt relatively fresh even after the long ride. It was indeed a more efficient way of cycling compared to my previous heavy gear and power pedals. We reached West Coast park, clocking in about 75km, and went to Mac for a well-deserved snack.

No comments: