Saturday, August 9, 2008

Test Ride

The 3 new Ceepos hit the road for a test ride this afternoon. It was blazing hot, and I just about coated myself in sunblock lotion. Alas, 10km later, at a coffeeshop in industrial Kranji, it started drizzling. New bikes were baptized in a wash out.

It was a different feeling riding on a tri-bike. I was not used to the gear shifters being on the bar ends and separate from the brakes. Just this morning, I played with the shifters and figured out how to loosen the tension/ friction so that my finger could flick the gear changers smoothly. Last night I had to literally grip the flicker with a few fingers to click it - that should not be happening on the roads. How to have so many extra fingers and split concentration just to shift gears? After loosening it, the shifter seemed to be more amenable now.

Something in the setup did not feel totally comfortable. I initially rode on the flat handle bars, very tentatively, trying to get used to the new bike. And my shoulders-arms ached. Then I pushed the saddle backwards slightly, and it felt much better. The aero position on a tri bike was really comfortable, with the thick gel pads supporting the elbows. Slightly more comfortable than my clip-on bars on roadie. I just had to get used to it and not wobble too much. Every little elbow movement and twitch could easily send the bike (and rider) off course. After some trials, I managed to stabilize myself. But climbing slopes on the aerobars was not as efficient, I preferred the handle bars. Being not very proficient in controlling the bike with only my left hand, I did not dare lift my right hand to click the gears. A couple of times, I used my left hand on the shifters, while keeping my right hand close to the brakes. It seemed to work and I found my rhythm.

We rode about 45km, and Eddie had to go off for work. It was a good test ride, I just had to gain more confidence on it. But at least can't lose me in the crowd. My front rider (all black bike) said he could spot me 1-2 bus stops away. My back rider (yellow-black) complained that no one looked at his bike cos ppl at bus stop were still staring at mine. Haha.

No comments: