Saturday, August 2, 2008

SWET Launch & Long Long Swim

The SWET girls formally launched their Everest expedition this morning, wiht Dr Vivian B as the guest of honour. A number of friends turned up early in the morning to help out with the launch. It was great seeing everyone again. The presentations reminded me of how hard we used to train, 6 days a week, 2-4 hours each session. I feel like quite a slug now in comparison! Haha. In between trying to demonstrate the displays and entertaining guests, we kidded around and joked about past expeditions and adventures. It was awesome to be in the midst of these serial adventurers - desert runners, mountaineers, extreme sports, rock climbers... you name it. Discussing potential future adventures was always the highlight. Everyone traded ideas on where to go for the next adrenalin shot.

http://picasaweb.google.com/simsps/SWETLaunch

After the event, I went to Safra to get my swim mileage. My aim was 40 laps. I had to, or would not be confident about the race swim. The pool was relatively empty, thankfully. There were divers and children having classes, but the other lanes were uncrowded. The sun was out in all its glory and the heat was up. I swam, and swam, and swam, counting down 10 laps per set. It seemed forever. I swam some more, slowly crawling through the water. Each set took longer and longer to complete, from 16:50min to 18-odd min. It was obviously slow compared to my more accomplished swimming friends. But I psyched myself to complete the laps. Eventually, I finished 50 laps! Yippee! My 2nd time doing that. From a non-front crawl swimmer, to doing only 1-2 laps, to 5, 10 and gradually building up. So 50 was like major major deal for me!

No comments: