Sunday, August 10, 2008

PI Run Series (2nd Race 20km)

Woke up late for the PI run. Oops. Sped to the start point, thankfully traffic was non-existent at such an early hour. But no carpark! Had to circle a few carparks before ending up on the multi-storey one, where we saw Wayne and Siew Lee just arriving as well. Managed to find our way over to the start point. The girls were flagged off as I was walking in. I went over to the Start banner and began the run. However, after about 1km plus, one of the marshals somehow waved me back towards the starting area, and I could not see any female runners. Maybe I went the wrong way, so I ended up re-starting the run with the guys. Duh.

The weather was surprisingly nice and cool. I was treating it as a normal Sunday morning training. We weaved in and out of the Kallang Riverside area, and crossed a bridge near PA to National Stadium. My stomach felt a little queer, but I could still run. We somehow made our way onto Nicoll Highway, where we had to do 2 loops. We kept going up and down the Nicoll Highway that I soon became disoriented and lost track of which of the bridge/ road I was on. I think the guys were all running fast, because I could always see some of them from the opposite direction. There were also many familiar faces in the midst, saw Shuyin and Eliza on the run.

After the 2nd Nicoll Highway loop, I surrendered and went to the Caltext toilet near Golden Mile complex/ Crawford Lane. Spent about 8min in the restroom - yes I counted time. When I rejoined the run, I saw Teacher Lee and Wee Haur ahead of me. Slowly we all completed the run. It was definitely less than 20km, because I could not have been a sub-2h at the pace I was using today. At the finishing line, Eddie, Alber and Fiona were playing around with the camera. We posed for various shots and stayed around to chit chat a little with the rest of the Safra runners.

Had breakfast at the nearby North Bridge Road Food Centre. There was a little stall selling freshly baked muffins, cream puffs, swiss rolls, egg tarts etc. Pretty decent for the hawker prices. The scones were buttery, the swiss rolls soft and smooth, and the cream puffs rather generous with the filling. Ooooh.

The afternoon was spent shopping for more bicycle accessories, and tweaking them further. I almost bought a pink bottle cage, but it looked really awful when placed against my bike. Almost Barbie doll! Yucks. Settled for a black sleek one instead. Oh so broke now, would have to scrimp on meals for the next 6 months.....

1 comment:

warriorsofwind said...

A good thing both of you came Just In Time before the men flagged off. Angela told me the actual distance covered was 18.2km.