Friday, August 22, 2008

Pumping Fireworks

It was a day of many impromptu showers of race information. Continuing my indecisiveness on 70.3, I was given a dose of reality kick by a good friend. There, sealed the fate - no go, not signing up. Decided that the money could be better invested on say training for better performance.

Then, as if someone sensed my apprehension from above, I received a call from a primary school classmate (!) to form a team for TNF100. Nice. But I checked the website, only to find out that registration had closed. Emailed the race director and verified that indeed we could not squeeze in. :( Oh well... So back to work..... I had a work trip coming up and casually surfed to see if there were any good races in those regions. Imagine my pleasant surprise at discovering the Lucerne Marathon on the very weekend I was there! Such a welcome bonus! I happily jumped around the office, too delighted to contain my joy. Ok ok, so now my race calendar looked like a big party of marathons, all smacked in Oct. Hmmm. TNF (if anyone withdrew), Borneo and Lucerne. Followed by Powerman in November. Will need to do some prioritization and re-planning. But Lucerne! Oh boy, that was like a once-a-lifetime chance. Under normal circumstances, I would not be flying all the way there just to run that! Cold weather, jet lag, how to get to the race site and so forth....... many many questions, but one overwhelming aim - run it! :)

I had arranged to meet friends for the fireworks tonight. Having many hours to kill, I went for a BodyPump class. Pump was ok, but I decided to spare my legs on the lunges. Took a quick shower and plonked myself on the pool chairs, awaiting the fireworks. There was a group of expats having a party on the roof deck, how charming. I think I should also be able to catch the fireworks comfortably from the pool deck.

So my friends watched from another nearby building, and I from the gym. We could see one another from where we were while we waited and waited! The fireworks finally came on at 930pm, half an hour delayed. Pity we could not hear the music from so far away, it would have been lovely to see the lights synchronised to the music. The fireworks lasted 15min, the finale of lights erupting dynamically non-stop. Fireworks were also a delight to catch, though it was not the best show that I had seen. Nonetheless, there was always a happy and wistful feeling when one watches the lights dancing in the sky. The 15min of magic was soon over, and I met up with my friends for dinner. A happy way to end the week and start the weekend.

No comments: