Monday, May 11, 2009

Swim Class

Lane 1. Simple drills, we did not do much - kicks, side kicks, hands crawl.

5x 200m in 5:30 and 6:00min.
I clocked average 5:05min. Getting the hang of it.
(Doesn't mean finish in 5:30. Means next set starts in 5:30... breathe breathe)

8x 100m in 3min.
Average of 2:20min. Last set 2:14min. Sweet.

Medley of 4 strokes - the pool went chaotic! Haha...

My ah-ha tonight was the pull. Coach always tells me to pull deeper and glide. For the longest time, and life of me, I tried but could not get what he meant. Tonight I suddenly felt it! I had the swimmer in front of me to thank for. I was following behind and trying not to hit her toes initially. So I deliberately pulled a bigger circle to slow down the arm. In doing so, I thought I felt a glide. Then the gap widened and I could pull harder to catch up. I experimented with various pulls and body turns (like the skewered chicken wing drill). Hmm... there was a nice rhythm yet some strength to the motion! I concentrated on that for about 3-4 sets, which was good as it totally distracted me from the speed. Surprisingly the timing was consistent, and similar to what I clocked with my half-baked rapid pulls. Ahhh.... I see light. Enlightenment! Haha... Have to work on it more though, to get a good feel of it.

Enjoyed tonight's class and the dinner company. :)

No comments: