Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Training Anguish

Dilemma. Anguish. Sigh.

Joined KM for intervals. Ran with Chantelle & Raymond. 3x 4km around Botanic Gardens. 22:40min (route familiarization cos first time & warm-up), 21min, 21:06min. Decent without going all out or killing myself. Could breathe with mouth still closed. That was my crude indicator for level of exertion. I could still go on, or faster.

Discussed how to train. Argh.... Short vs long. Speed vs distance. Confession: I am a distance (duration) addict. I find it extremely difficult to subscribe to a low-mileage high-intensity programme. Logically I understand it. Execution is another matter. I do not think I can run fast, therefore I run long. That, in essence, is the PS' logic, even if it is not much of a logic. Mental barrier, no confidence? No natural talent? But I also know many who started off way slower than me, but improved by leaps and bounds to be much faster. So that eliminates the 'natural talent born to run' theory.

Whatever the case (and I know I will be mulling over this dilemma for a long time), I am starting this cycle of training and races with a much more kiasee approach. I appreciate the flexibility in my training - to go hard when I feel up to it, to step back when I am tired. Having options always appeals to me, over abiding by structures. It is a blessing to be able to eat, run, swim, bike, talk, and even breathe normally. It is like a renewal, a second lease of life. I am not going to screw it up.

No comments: